2020 Summer Internship
Factor specializes in modeling information and experiences. We make technology more efficient and easier to use. Our process is systematic, intellectually rigorous, and highly creative in the nerdiest ways possible. We are a fun, independent-minded group that works hard.
We are seeking talented, highly motivated recent graduates, graduate and/or undergraduate students who have demonstrated significant academic achievement, intellectual curiosity and an interest in Information Architecture and User Experience.
The ideal Intern will have:
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to write clearly and effectively, and to quickly learn business vocabulary.
- Experience with information theory, information behavior, or information architecture either through academic pursuit or work experience.
About the Work
This is a new position, so if you’re a creative self-starter, you’ll likely be able to work with us to focus the work. Some areas we need help with include:
- User Research (UXR): Our work relies heavily on User Research. You could assist in interview sessions, help draw out and document research themes, and dig into data to really understand users’ information behavior, experiences and goals.
- Taxonomies and Information Modeling: We work with taxonomies and metadata in virtually all of our projects. You could assist in taxonomy research, competitive assessments, and general information organization projects.
- Community Management: You could work with the team to identify and research topics for, and help draft blog posts and tweets about information architecture, user experience, and taxonomy/ontology. Excellent writing and editing skills are preferred.
- Internal: You could support the project management and business operations staff with a variety of tasks.
This is a contract position to be paid $20 – $35/hr (DOE) for 20 hours per week for up to 8 weeks beginning July 10, 2020 and ending August 31, 2020.
We are not offering housing support.
Our office is located in the Capitol Hill Neighborhood in Seattle. Given the current circumstances, we’re not sure when we’ll be back in the office. This will be a remote position, with potential for future in-person activities.
Please send us your resume and a detailed cover letter articulating your interest in the opportunity. Please address the following questions in your response.
- Are you interested in a career in UX/Information Architecture? Why?
- Why should a lay-person care about taxonomies and metadata?
Professional references may be requested in later phases of the interview process.
Factor values diversity and inclusivity. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please fill out the following form. Please save all application materials in one .pdf file. Our form will not allow you save your work for later.